Tuesday 1 February 2011

Book 6 - Northern Lights by Philip Pullman




Finished 31st January 2011


This is the first time I have read a Pullman book and it is the first time during this challenge that I have read a children's fantasy. It's a good sized book for any child, being 399 pages in total and has all the usual suspects when it comes to children's fantasy. Witches and talking bears, a fantastic journey through a fantasy world, it has all the right mixture of ingredients to keep a child fascinated. The major twist on the theme being the fact that all humans have their own personal daemon, a clever and fun twist, this book really left me wishing that I had one.

I'll be honest and say that as a 39 year old northern bloke, I didn't really appreciate this book as much as it's intended readership would. At times it felt like a bit of a chore to read. If I was 12 or 14 then I probably would have adored it. But as a fully grown and bloated bald bloke, it wasn't too exciting, although I can appreciate this book. I have read a few children's books over the years ( as an adult) that I have enjoyed more.

It is difficult to rate this book. It wasn't a bad book and any child would probably appreciate it more than me. But as a writer it was a good experience to read, especially if I start to write this genre myself, which is quite possible. I only wish I could ever , one day, write a book like this, even if it is not my cup of tea , but I'm an old git.


6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment