Wednesday 27 February 2013

Northanger Abbey



By Jane Austen. (Penguin Red Classics)

Young and impressionable, Catherine Morland loves books and dreams of adventure, romance and hidden passages. A chance meeting with a charming and attractive stranger in Bath, England, sparks an adventure of her own, but real life isn't as straight forward as the plot in a story book.
This is my third encounter with Jane Austen but probably my favourite so far, although 'Emma' runs a close second fiddle or maybe I enjoyed them as much as each other. When I first read 'Pride and Prejudice' I actually wondered what on Earth had hit me and I found it difficult to get my brain around such an old fashioned and convoluted way of writing but perhaps I am finally getting to understand Austen a little bit more. Northanger Abbey is much much accessible, it is romantic and the perfect escapist novel. How better to get your mind off work problems and financial problems but to find yourself riding onboard a horse and carriage in a quaint old English Parish! This novel is gentle and amusing in a subtle way and a thoroughly relaxing read. However the ending is insanely abrupt to say the least and everything is wrapped up way too quickly! Apparently this was one of the first books that Jane Austen wrote but was only published after her death, so maybe that has something to do with it. Would she have agreed to publication without a bit more editing? It's almost as if the last six pages were written by a different author.

Enjoyed. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment