Monday 25 January 2016

St Elmo's Fire - My Latest Movie Review.











A group of friends leave college and walk head first into adulthood.






Starring Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez,  Demi Moore, Andrew McCarthy, Mare Winningham, Judd Nelson and Ally Sheedy.


Written by Joel Schumacher and Carl Kurlander.




Directed by Joel Schumacher.






If any film epitomizes the fluffy soundtrack movies of the eighties this is it. Grab a handful of gorgeous looking actors and pin a great soundtrack to it and you've got a brilliant marketing plan! The movie will sell the record and the record will sell the movie.




I missed it the first time around, even though I grew up as a teen of the eighties; I don't know how I missed it but at least I can watch it now with fresh eyes. This features a cast of young actors who were part of the rat pack of the time. Good looking actors and actresses who would be on bedroom walls for most of the decade and beyond.


I like it. It's a feel good teen flick that made me nostalgic about my own teenage years and the teenage years of my son. It has a few laughs along the way and it's pretty mindless entertainment.




It's not an Oscar winning movie by any length of the imagination. For a start off there are way to many main characters and you spend most of the movie trying to work out who is who and who is going out with who. There isn't really a plot to grab hold of and there isn't really a significant ending. It just kind of stops. It's full of young (at the time), up an coming actors but none of them really deliver a stand out performance.





But this fluffy movie made me feel a little bit fluffy, even if it's not the best film ever made.







7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment