Sunday 13 November 2011

52 - December by Elizabeth H. Winthrop


Ruth and Wilson Carter usually look forwards to Christmas, a special time of snow angels, coal fires and family fun. But this year it's different. Isabelle, their 11 year old daughter has stopped talking. There's that old saying 'you don't know what you've got until it's gone', but normally a child's voice is something you don't expect to disappear. Her parents have tried everything and they are worried that Isabelle's life is ruined and that they could have done something to stop it from happening in the first place. Christmas seems to be ruined and their marriage is beginning to come apart.

I recently got a pile of books from my local library and this was the last on the pile. How glad I was to leave this to the end. It is an exceptionally good read, written beautifully, an emotional journey into the mind of an adolescent. It's almost as if you become a part of this family and begin to feel their frustration and despair. I cannot begin to describe how well Elizabeth H. Winthrop writes with amazing attention to small details and how each page is heavy with emotion and not to mention her ability to weave wit into the story when you least expect it.
The story is quite simple. It really does go to prove that a good book doesn't always have to have bombs waiting to go off or murderers on the loose, this book simply is what it is. It is very good.

One of the best books I have read and a fitting way to achieve my '52 books in 52 weeks challenge'. Now I will see how many books I can read until 2012 when my challenge, hopefully, will begin all over again!

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment