Wednesday 30 November 2011

55 - The Green Odyssey by Philip Jose Farmer



This sci-fi/ fantasy adventure is set in a distant future where humans have colonised the solar system. Green's space ship crash lands on a primitive and barbaric Earth like planet where he is forced to live as a slave. He works his way up and becomes a gigolo for the local Duchess who is beautiful but extremely smelly. One day he hears that another space ship has landed and that two Earth men have been captured and he decides that this could lead to his return home. He decides that he must act now if he is to escape this planet.

This is only my second audio book of the year and it actually made a pleasant change and perhaps gave my eyes a rest ! On a positive note this book (written in the fifties) was quite imaginative and I really liked the strange world that Green found himself on. It has lots of quirky inhabitants and creatures and an amazing sea of grass with islands that move like lawn mowers. However I found the action scenes to be a little lacklustre and at times I did find myself struggling to stay awake. And to be honest I did find that the narrator got on my nerves after a while with his over the top bad acting. You see that's the thing about reading your own book. The characters are all in your own head and so are their words, it just isn't the same with an audio like this, especially when the narrator is a little bit annoying.

Overall this book was imaginative, quite clever and funny in parts but I rate it as an average romp. Maybe more suited to those that like the typical adventure story. Maybe I would have enjoyed it better if I had read the actual book instead of listening to it on audio.

7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment