Thursday 9 August 2012

38 The Black House by Peter May




The quiet and remote Isle of Lewis in Scotland is disturbed when a man is found hanging by his neck on the rafters of an old boatshed. Detective Inspector Fin Macleod is sent from Edinburgh to investigate and finds himself in a private battle not only with an unknown killer but also with himself.His past and present begin to unravel and he finds that this tiny island has more than a few skeletons in its closet.

I can't believe this book has been sitting on my 'To Be Read' pile since March, I guess my problem was that I was expecting it to be just another average thriller and most thrillers are really not my thing.After hearing a few good things said about it I decided to take it from my bookshelf.

This is definitely not an average thriller, it is superb. I was really taken by the main character and I enjoyed the way I was taken on a journey through the past and into the present of the inhabitants of Lewis. I have never been to the Isle of Lewis but it was a beautiful and powerful backdrop to a delightful read. For the first time in ages I was emotionally connected to the story, a story that was actually revealed slowly piece by piece, something I really like in a book. The past and future were interwoven cleverly through alternating first person and third person perspectives.

Personally I wouldn't say it was an all out thriller as the crime mystery at the very centre of the plot was often on the fringes of the main story.It was more of a literary fiction piece with the story of Fin and Marsaili and Artair, the principal characters, as the main story. For quite a larger than average book The Black House is pretty impressive and won me over from the beginning. I was surprised and pleased to discover that this is the first in a trilogy and I am looking forward to continue my adventures on Lewis.Especially after reading the except from the second book that was included at the end.

A very good book, I gave it a 5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment