Thursday 14 April 2011

Book 17 The Spire - Richard North Patterson



Richard North Patterson is another new Author for me and I wasn't disappointed.

Set in Ohio it is the story of a brilliant young Lawyer who goes back to his old college to help them through a tricky situation involving embezzlement but finds himself in the middle of a murder investigation that goes back to his own college days. His old friend was convicted of the murder of a young college student but Mark Darrow is convinced that he is an innocent man. While being given the task of saving his old college from financial troubles he takes it upon himself to help prove his old friends innocence. Along the way he finds himself facing demons from his past and a new love interest with her own demons.

Everything works for me in 'The Spire', from the beautiful front cover to the brilliant suspense and mystery that follows. To me at times it felt like a modern day Agatha Christie Novel with a whole list of suspects that could easily have committed the murder. It is a good book and one that keeps you eager to turn over each page.

If I had to find a niggle or two, I think it could have done with a little bit more action for my own personal taste. There was a lot of sitting around restaraunt tables drinking wine and sitting behind desks talking and making telephone calls.
Also the ending was ok but it kind of resolved a little too quickly and conveniently after such a brillantly crafted ' suspenseful' build up. But that was probably my fault because I worked out 'whodunnit' about 3/4 way through the book and the ending was no surprise!

But I would definitley recommend 'The Spire' and will be looking to read more from Richard North Patterson.


8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment