Thursday 15 March 2012

The Sentinel - Arthur C Clarke



This is a collection of short stories written between 1946 and 1979 by Arthur C Clarke.

I have only ever read one of his stories and that was a few years ago, he was also famous for his supernatural TV series of which I was an avid fan growing up.
These nine stories are of various lengths and are what I would describe as traditional old fashioned Sci-Fi. You haven't got all the flashy monsters and space battles typically found in Star Trek and Star Wars and later books and movies but what you have got are a collection of good honest stories. Most of the stories kept my interest without blowing me away completely. My favourite was the highly original 'The Wind from the Sun' where the protagonist takes part in a space yacht race to the moon. Other highlights are 'A Meeting with Medusa' and 'Breaking Strain.'

Overall this was a pleasant and interesting read without really getting me too excited.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment