Saturday 9 February 2013

Book 5 - Hobson's Choice by Harold Brighouse



I only read this book because my son is studying it at high school and I thought it would be an interesting quicky to boost my 52 book challenge. So I borrowed it from him and gave it a go. It is unbelievable how my own family don't understand my obsession and love of reading. My wife was asking 'Why are you reading that?' And my son was asking 'Why are you reading that book, it's a school book?' How many times do I have to say I a writer and as a writer I want to and need to read as many different genres as humanly possible! Oh well enough of my moaning, what about the book?

I haven't read that many plays over the years and this is my first of the year. It is an old play and was first presented on stage in 1916 at the Apollo Theatre in London. Set in my own native north west it focuses on a cobbler who treats his three daughters and his own workers pretty grimly and spends far too much time at his local pub. However he receives a dose of his own medicine when his daughters turn against him and he has to fight to retain his position as head of the family!

I actually feel for the main character because I work in a female dominated profession and I know what it is like to feel the wrath of dominant co workers! But as for the play itself it didn't exactly rock my world. Maybe it just isn't my cup of tea but I found it mildly amusing and average at best. It wasn't exactly a laugh a minute and it wasn't a page turner by any means. But maybe I should read more plays and perhaps visit my local theatre more often.

2/5

2 comments:

  1. "It is unbelievable how my own family don't understand my obsession and love of reading"... Is exactly how I feel sometimes. I do not enjoy all the books I read, but my love for reading itself keeps me reading. Only another reader can understand that I guess. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally with you! Thanks for taking a look at my blog and nice to bump into you :)

    Ally

    ReplyDelete