Saturday 12 April 2014

The Birds and other Stories







                                                     By Daphne Du Maurier





I have read lots of short story collections over the years, ranging from Horror to Sci-Fi to Crime Fiction and with mixed results. Some have been very good, whilst others have been average and some downright forgettable. I guess my favourite collections have always been of the Stephen King variety, even though there are always one or two standout stories amongst a few weaker ones.

This collection gets off to an explosive and gripping start with The Birds, I was surprised how different it was from the film and much more scary! For me this is probably the perfect and possibly best ever short story written. Then we have the other stories; Monte Verita, The Apple Tree, The Little Photographer, Kiss Me Again, Stranger and The Old Man.


Every one is a gem. Every one is a unique, standalone story with twists and turns, shocks and essentially, very good story telling. I can't find a fault with any of them and they kept me guessing and turning the pages like all great books do. And what a way to finish the collection! With probably the best ever short story twist ever written.




I need to read everything that De Maurier has ever written. It may take me a long time but I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Read Rebecca, before you read anything else. Then read this and tell me there's a better short story collection.


5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment