Monday 15 February 2016

Back In Time Movie Review - The Evil Dead (1981)










A group of friends spend the night in a cabin in the mountains 

                                     and it doesn't go well.









Starring Bruce Campbell, Ellen Sandweiss, Richard DeManincor, Betsy Baker and Theresa Tilly.



Written and directed by Sam Raimi.







I think my age has a lot to answer for.




I'm guessing that if I'd watched this as a teenager I would have loved it or at least enjoyed it more than I did now as an old bloke. It definitely had lots of creepy moments and funny moments.



But from an old gits perspective I was actually a little bored watching this. I suppose when it was first released this movie would have been cutting edge and the ultimate horror flick. But I got that bored feeling in my stomach that I get when I'm reading a really boring book that I can't wait to finish so I can start the next one. It was all so repetitive. One demon possessed person attacks and then another and then another and then another. there was nothing new here and it's all been done before.




The acting was okay but a bit hammy and the special effects ( although probably brilliant in 1981) showed their age.







I'm giving it a 6/10 but my teenage self would have given it much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment