Wednesday 24 February 2016

White Heat - Back In Time Movie Review













A cop goes undercover to bring down the mob.






Starring James Cagney and Virginia Mayo.



Written by Ivan Goff, Ben Roberts and suggested by a story by Virginia Kellogg.




Directed by Raoul Walsh.








This is the third mob movie I've watched in a row and probably my least favourite.




I know it's supposed to be a classic but I don't get it. If I'd have watched it when it first came out I may have appreciated a bit more but for me it was just an okay, fun romp of a movie.

It's got practically the same plot as Donnie Brasco but of course came out many years earlier. I'd go as far as to say it's like Donnie Brasco with action scenes added. The action scenes are pretty good and the film kept my interest all the way even though it's quite a long one. But it is very dated and doesn't really stand the test of time that well. Not for me anyway. The acting is dated and so is the whole production.



I wasn't too impressed with James Cagney's performance. I found him quite wooden and hammy. The scene where he loses it in the prison dining hall just made me giggle it was so bad. I'm sure I'm on my own here because reading some of the reviews on IMDB it's heralded as the the finest mob movie ever made. But that's just the way I feel. It was an okay movie but nothing special. I'd be interested in watching some of Cagney's over stuff though.





And why was it called White Heat? Can anybody tell me?






7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment