Tuesday 23 February 2016

Donnie Brasco (1997) - Back In Time Movie Review













            An FBI undercover agent infiltrates the mob.









Starring Johnny Depp and Al Pacino.


Written by Joseph D Pistone (Book), Richard Woodley (Book) and Paul Attanasio (Screenplay).




Directed by Mike Newell.








This is the second mob movie I've seen in a row and it's basically Goodfellas with a plot.




It perhaps lacks the overall polish and cinematography of Goodfellas but it makes up for it by having more plot and emotion. I didn't get to know each of the characters as much but that's probably because this is a shorter movie and based more on the relationship between the two leads as opposed to the the mob in general.

Al Pacino and Johnny Depp give good lead performances and their dynamic works well. It's my third Al Pacino film and probably my favourite. Likewise I've seen a few Johnny Depp films and this is the best performance I've seen. It's another side to him and it proves what a versatile actor he is as well as having the looks. And that's something you don't always see.





I still don't think Mob movies are really my thing but I'm enjoying catching a few and I have another one lined up. If anything I've learned a few things I didn't know before if the mob ever comes up in a pub quiz!




Just like Goodfellas this gets an 8 out of 10 but for different reasons. On a side note I was surprised to see who the director of this was considering the previous things he has directed. That's a weird one but he has done a good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment