Friday 5 February 2016

Back in Time Movie Review - Sunflower (1970)











An Italian woman is convinced her husband survived World War 2






Starring Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni.


Written by Tonino Guerra, Cesare Zavattini  and Giorgi Mdivani.



Directed by Vittorio De Sica.








This is my first foreign subtitled film of the year and it's pretty average.




There are no stand out performances and the story just about kept my interest but didn't have me on the edge of my seat. Sophia Loren is one of those actresses that was spoken about a lot in the seventies and eighties but as far as  know this is the first time I have seen her in anything.


We don't really get the chance to know any of the two main characters and the whole thing is very slow and never really gets going. On a more positive note the soundtrack by Henry Mancini ( another famous name from the seventies and eighties) is superb and the cinematography, considering this was made in 1970 was really good. I loved the location filming.




Overall a bit too slow for me.








7/10 mainly for the soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment